Sunday, March 22, 2009

Jury Duty, AGAIN!

Daughter Nicki has been opening our mail, and told me that I have been called up for Jury Duty AGAIN (I just served in December). I wasn't too worried about it, because now that I'm an 'old hand' at Jury Duty, I know I can go to the website and request an excusal. The reasons are limited to very specific reasons, but 'Served within the Last 12 Months' is an option. However, we just heard that my request to be excused was denied. I also put in the text of the request for excusal that we were in South America. So I was just amazed that they denied my request.

There were so many lame excuses given by others when I served in December, I can't believe that 'I just served 6 months ago' and 'I am semi-permanently out of the country' didn't work!!! And that they really expect me to fly back from South America for jury duty!!??

I have showed up to serve every other time that I've been asked, and have never actually served on a jury... after a day or two of screwing around, I have always been dismissed. I can't believe they wouldn't let me off ahead of time with a fairly legitimate excuse.

It was a big inconveniece for me to show up to serve in December, but the main reason I did it was to them be less likely to be called up later.

There is not an easy way to argue our point--the form letter we got back said that any additional requests have to be taken up with the judge on the day we report. I can't find a fax number. So we are going to mail a paper letter with a Chilean stamp and basically just not show. Let them send the court officers to get me.

No comments:

Post a Comment