Saturday, September 10, 2011

Samoan Weather Forecast

We have started to request the American Samoa weather forecast out of Pago Pago. We were interested to see that it comes in both English and Samoan.

The Samoan version...

LE ASO...SAVILI MAI SASA'E 10 I LE 15 NOTE. SAMI E 7 I LE 9 FT.
E TAAPE NAI TIMU.
PO NANEI E OO I LE PO ASO FARAILE...SAVILI MAI SASA'E 10 I LE 15
NOTE. SAMI E 7 I LE 9 FT O LE A FAAITIITIA I LE AOAULI O LE ASO FARAILE
E LATA I LE 5 I LE 7 FT. E TAAPE NAI TIMU.
ASO TOONA'I E OO I LE ASO GAFUA...SAVILI MAI SASA'E 10 I LE 15 NOTE.
SAMI E 5 I LE 7 FT. E TAAPE NAI TIMU.

Look at all those vowels!!

Translation:

TODAY...EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 7 TO 9 FT. ISOLATED SHOWERS.
TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT...EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS
7 TO 9 FT SUBSIDING TO NEAR 5 TO 7 FT FRIDAY AFTERNOON. ISOLATED
SHOWERS.
SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY...EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 5 TO 7 FT.
ISOLATED SHOWERS.

We are still having a great sail. Clear skies, a few small puffy clouds, and about 14 knots of wind. We saw a green flash at sunset tonight, and the moon was already up as the sun set. It will be nearly full tonight.

It doesn't get much better than this!!

There is a nasty low passing well south of us (causing the big swell), but the forecast for where we are is for settled weather for the next week.
-----
Sherry & Dave
On our way from French Polynesia toward Tonga
http://svsoggypaws.blogspot.com

At 9/9/2011 6:05 AM (utc) our position was 14°07.25'S 166°05.75'W
http://svsoggypaws.com/currentposition.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment