Friday, February 5, 2010

Sitting on the Sidewalk with my Computer

One of the 'joys' of 3rd world living is that nothing is ever on a schedule. At least not on OUR schedule.

In spite of being in South America for over a year, we still have yet to get used to their mid-day break. Every place in town closes down about 12:30, and stays closed until 2 or 3pm. The best (cheapest, fastest, and with A/C) internet place in town is closed between 12:30 and 3pm. It is 2:45, Dave came into town on an errand, and I want to snatch some internet while he's in town.

I know EasyNet will be closed until 3pm, so I stop at the other internet place--one that is a little more expensive, not air conditioned--but open more often. The sign says 'Open', the windows are open, but the door is locked and nobody is there. Hmmm. Another internet place on the way, that usually has a big 'Internet' sign out front, is also closed.

Well, it IS a hot, sleepy day, and there are almost no tourists in town right now. The town gets busy Mon-Tue-Wed when the live-aboard tour boats stop here. But the last one left at noon today, and there won't be another until next Monday.

So up I go to EasyNet, hoping maybe someone will be there. I can hear the A/C running, but the sign says closed and the door is locked.

So now I am sitting on the sidewalk in the shade, the ants running around my feet, and wondering when they might open. It's now 3:05 pm.

Stupid Gringo that I am...I will sit here and swelter instead of taking a siesta, like everyone else in town.
-----
At 1/27/2010 1:45 PM (utc) our position was 00°57.95'S 090°57.73'W

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment